Monday, September 15, 2014

Social Media SLOW DOWN


After what felt like the longest August in history, I said farewell to my birthday month and started September off on a positive note. I learnt a lot from August . . . that I am indeed getting older, that I really am not made to down shots and glasses of wine mid-week, that I may indeed be getting greys (however this may never be proven due to my let’s-change-our-hair-color-every-month obsession) and that it’s ok to break down a little and not always be the strong one.

But a wonderful realisation and lesson was learned too . . . It was a humorous yet substantial discussion over a few glasses wine of how we, as a society, have become programmed and almost obsessed with our little phones and the need to constantly share our every minute on social media. So when we all agreed that we'd be keeping our phones on silent and out of sight when together; I found that it started and sparked something so much more. I deleted my social media apps off my phone and almost immediately depleted my time on them by almost 100% and you know what, I like it. I do admit that when I do take a peek, I’m actually overwhelmed and glad that I’m not seeing that same old same old nonsense every day. No thank you, I don't wish to play Candy crush or see what you little kiddo had for breakfast. And it’s transitioned into silencing my phone (and placing it in my sock drawer) for 2 hours when getting home. Or leaving it at home when I’m simply popping out to the store or gym.

Try it. You tend to see so much more and actually take time to interact like we all used to back in the day. Social media freedom is quite something.

No comments :

Post a Comment